Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Letters From Burks Falls, 1926

Burks Falls - Clarence Peacock, Harold Hammond, Marjorie Peacock, George Peacock, Jessie Peacock and baby Beatty (Harold drove the Peacocks to visit George in Burks Falls )

Spring, 1926

p. 2 ....meet him. It ain't like a post office where you get your stamps. He just puts your mail in the box and you get it out yourself. How is your Mother getting along now? She was awful thin when I was home [baby Beatty born Jan, 1926], but I think she will be all right again. I think she worries too much over some things. I guess Clarence (son) will think he is quite a farmer now. There will soon be no room for me at home, but I hope they get along alright. It is good for him to take an interest.........p. 4.... I think the old woman is pretty sick too, so she might not get better, so I don't think you should bother with him. I guess every body is done seeding by now. They have got the potatoes in at home, so they say. Well, Maudie, I think I will have to close for this time. I should write to Hazel and Gertie tomorrow night. So, good night my dear, and God bless you and keep you safe. From your loving father and lots of love to you. Good night my dear with love and some kisses to you. Be a good girl. Tell Eveline [Skelly, friend of daughter] that I was asking for her and a kiss to her too (ha ha)

Dec 7, 1926

My dear Daughter,

Just a line in answer to your kind and your welcome letter and was glad to hear you are well....I'm well at present. Well, Maud, it is near Christmas. I will be glad when it comes. I don't expect to be home til then. And I guess your Mother is geting lonesome, for I got a letter from her and she has been sick, she tells me. She thinks it is the flu she had, but is getting better. And I hope so, for I don't want to come home til Christmas. She tells me that Hazel has gone to Kirk's to work. She will find them pretty nifty to work for. I guess old Jack Schaeffer would vote for Berrner (?) all right. You want to tell them that it is a good thing to be able to get a drink of whiskey. Tell her a man should have it to cheer him up. Where is Harold going to work now after he is done with Richards? Or is he going to work any place. It will go hard with him to work again. Well, Maud, I will have to close for this time, as I'm going to write to Hazel. So, goodbye and be a good girl. From your ever loving father,George Peacock, Burks Falls

(George Peacock was a sawyer, by trade, and sometimes had to work away from Macaulay Township. Marjorie was working at Schaeffer's as a domestic helper. Harold took her to visit her mother and found her very depressed. They then drove to Burks Falls to see George.)

No comments: